Travel Insurance for Flight Delays: Minimising Travel Disruptions
As a travel agent, you know that flight delays and cancellations can derail even the best-planned trips. Severe travel disruptions caused by delayed or cancelled flights plague the industry.
Your clients trust you to book amazing bespoke adventures, but unpredictable events like airline delays remain beyond your control. The good news is that travel insurance can help minimise the inconvenience.
Policies with trip delay coverage provide vital protection when flights don’t go as scheduled. As a trusted travel agent, understanding flight delay insurance helps you better serve clients by aligning the right plans to protect their travels.
- The Impact of Flight Delays
- Choosing the Right Travel Cover
- Added Benefits of Travel Protection Plans
- Smoothing Travel Delay Insurance Claims
- Ensure Travel Protection with Brisco Business
The Impact of Flight Delays
Before exploring insurance solutions, it’s important to understand flight disruption troubles facing travellers:
Cancelled connections or severely delayed arrivals can mean forfeiting prepaid, non-refundable elements like tours, hotels, or cruises. The costs quickly add up, destroying travel budgets.
Lost Vacation Time
Finding alternative flights and missed connections eat into vacations. By the time travellers reach destinations, they’ve lost significant time to enjoy activities.
Passengers stranded due to airline delays face extra costs for meals, accommodations, and transport until reaching destinations. These costs can equal or exceed the original trip price.
Ultimately, severe airline delays can force trip interruption, abandonment altogether, and travel misery.
While carriers provide some compensation, limitations and low payouts leave travellers exposed. This is where comprehensive travel insurance can protect your clients.
Choosing the Right Travel Cover
You want travel plans securing your customers in their times of need. Look for policies featuring:
Flight Cancellation Coverage
If an airline cancels a flight, insurance can refund prepaid, non-refundable portions of a trip cancelled outright due to a delayed departure of 24 hours or more.
Delayed Flight Compensation
Plans compensate for reasonable added costs related to hotel, meals, and transport if connections are missed or departures are postponed for a defined period (typically 6-12 hours). This covers out-of-pocket expenses not refunded by airlines themselves.
Missed Connection Coverage
Insurance reimburses additional transportation needed to either continue with travel plans or return home after missing a connection due to earlier airline delays.
Travel Delay Protection
Quality policies pay cash benefits if travel is delayed more than a set number of hours, providing travellers financial assistance to cover incidental expenses.
Insurance for Travel Delays
Trip interruption coverage allows travellers to abandon delayed travel plans altogether and claim cancellation refunds on unused bookings if delays exceed trip duration thresholds set by insurers.
Added Benefits of Travel Protection Plans
Alongside directly covering flight disruption incidents, some plans’ additional benefits further assist travellers, like:
- Travel Contingency Insurance – Coverage for costs related to incidents outside the traveller’s control like natural disasters or political unrest at destinations. This offers protection when external events rather than airline delays frustrate plans.
- Travel Document and Baggage Coverage – Pays costs for replacing passports, visas, tickets etc. lost during airline disruption, further safeguarding trip investments.
- Rental Car Damage Cover – Assuming rental car liability if booking new vehicles due to severely postponed arrivals.
- Enhanced Medical and Accident Protection – Increased caps for medical claims if injury treatment is required at disrupted destinations.
- 24 Hour Emergency Assistance – Helplines offering local guidance during airline disruption crises.
Smoothing Travel Delay Insurance Claims
While insurance alleviates many flight delay troubles, travellers must still formally file claims. You can assist customers by advising them to:
- Carefully read policy documents to understand exact activation triggers, coverage limits, exclusions etc. before incidents occur.
- Quickly notify insurers of delays or cancellations to open claims.
- Keep all receipts and supporting documentation on costs/losses tied to airline disruption.
- Submit claims forms promptly along with written confirmations of delays/cancellations from airlines.
- Provide any additional claim evidence requested by insurers.
- Follow up regarding claim status if delays seem lengthy.
Clearly communicating policy details and setting expectations around claims facilitates faster processing so travellers receive rightful compensation.
Ensure Travel Protection with Brisco Business
The right insurance protects vacation time and budgets when the flights themselves falter. Comprehensive policies also reassures travellers that someone “has their back” if an airline-caused crisis strikes. Discuss coverage that shields clients from delays so they can travel worry-free.
At Brisco Business, our insurance protects your travel agency so you keep travellers exploring the world, protected every step of the way. Our tailored travel agency insurance policies offer:
- Public Liability Cover – Protects if guests are injured on your premises.
- Professional Indemnity – Shields against claims tied to service advice.
- Employers’ Liability – Safeguards if staff are injured while working.
Our comprehensive protection ensures your agency keeps running smoothly if the unexpected strikes. Contact our experts today to find out more.
Protect Your Business Today!
Find comprehensive business insurance at the right price. Quickly and easily compare quotes from leading insurers and choose the perfect policy for you.Compare Quotes